Dr. Patrick Schwarz, professor, author, motivational speaker and leader in Education (Inclusive Education, Special Education, General Education, Educational Leadership). He is the author of From Disability to Possibility®. He has also co-authored You’re Welcome, Just Give Him the Whale, Pedro’s Whale with Dr. Paula Kluth), and From Possibility to Success.
- From Disability to Possibility: 5 Keys to Achieving an Inclusive Life – One of the keys to achieving an inclusive life is building on each individual’s fascinations, passions and interest areas. Patrick will explore new ways of using these areas as positive teaching tools that calm, motivate and improve learning. Using real life stories — from womb to tomb — of individuals with possibilities, participants will discover how to make the most of fascinations, passions and interest areas to help learners they support. Areas included will be learning standards-based academic content, developing social connections, minimizing anxiety, boosting literacy learning and mathematics skills, expanding communication skills and much more! Be prepared for something fun and different!
- Addressing Adventuresome Behavior While Keeping the Dignity of All Intact – Both a person-centered, authentic, functional approach to assess behavior and a problem-solving process will be applied to combine components of the very best user-proven behavioral support strategies. This approach will be illustrated and then applied to real-life classroom and learning situations identified by participants.
Lee Stickle, Director, Kansas State Department of Education’s Technical Assistance Support Network School Mental Health Initiative
- Channeling Your Inner Gumby – Each of us face challenges in daily life. Some are faced with increasingly difficult circumstances; loss, loneliness, isolation, violence and uncertainty can cause us to question or rattle our confidence, undermine our ability to make meaningful connections, distort our character and make coping difficult. What can we do? Research has shown that we can build our resilience. We can begin to approach challenges in ways that we can be significantly more successful. Join us as we explore ways to build resilience and become the people we were meant to be!
- Empowering Families: Talking about Mental Health, Mental Illness and Self-Care in the Home
- Sibling Panel
- Working with Your Child’s Medical Team
- The Facts About Social Security, Medicare, KanCare and Work Incentives
- Ensuring your Child’s Safety in the Digital Age
A limited number of parent scholarships are available through Families Together, Inc. Parents should call (785) 233-4777 or 1-800-264-6343 or email to request a scholarship. Scholarships cover registration, lunch and conference materials.
A block of rooms has been reserved under the Together We Can Learn Conference at the DoubleTree by Hilton Kansas City – Overland Park – 10100 College Blvd. Overland Park, Kansas 66210. The phone number for The DoubleTree is (913) 451-6100. The rate is $121 for the night of September 28, 2019. You are responsible for all hotel fees. Families Together does not cover the cost of hotel rooms or mileage to the conference.
Co-sponsored by the Kansas Center for Autism Research and Training Center
All conference plans and expenses are based on pre-registration. If you must cancel, we regret we cannot offer refunds or release purchase orders. However, you can transfer your registration to a friend or colleague.