http://www.helpersinc.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/helpersinclogo-340x100.png 0 0 Stacy Jones http://www.helpersinc.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/helpersinclogo-340x100.png Stacy Jones2013-04-18 14:51:002013-04-18 14:51:00My Head Is Spinning…Why?
April 5, 2013My head is spinning. Why? Lately, there’s been lots of “hub bub”, and confusion in Kansas about our community-based intellectual and developmental disability (I/DD) system. We’ve been under the microscope.Over the past few weeks:
- There have been bills introduced which would alter our current community system.
- Case management is being threatened.
- Excuses are flying that the Federal Affordable Care Act is going to force us to make changes.
- Allegations of “conflict of interest” and Community Developmental Disability Organization’s (CDDO) have been raised.
- Rumors of CDDO‘s getting rich (even though money doesn’t pass through them).
- Accusations that the reason we don’t want to be included in KanCare is because we don’t want to change our service model.
- Some legislators say “just try it for a year” not understanding that once we’re in…we’re in.
- We’ve been on the defense trying to support the valued reputation of our system.I asked myself why these are all coming to surface right now. So after thinking long and hard, it all comes down to one common theme:We are making successful noise in our quest to be excluded from KanCare!As my head spins, I find myself growing weary. I’m NOT weary of the fight; I’m NOT weary of defending how we do our business.I’m weary because our community system is efficient, effective, and does great things for more than 8,000 individuals and the Administration doesn’t seem to be listening. I’m weary because we don’t want I/DD long-term services and supports to be turned over to three for-profit insurance companies! I’m weary because WE know what is best for our folks and have one of the best systems in the country and don’t want it damaged.So, I decided to sit in my yoga pose, take a deep breath, calm my mind, and concentrate on simplicity.KanCare is not good for the I/DD long-term-care waiver!That’s about as simple as it gets.Tonight, legislators go on break and back to their home communities. They will return to Topeka on May 8th to complete their work.For us:
- Now is the time to not give in or give up.
- Now is the time to send your legislators emails, mail them a note or call them at home, and attend any forum they may hold.
- Email them on the www.invisiblekansans.com website.
- Ask family, friends and neighbors to help get the word out.
- Now is the time to respectfully educate our legislators and compel them to listen to their constituents. Listen to YOU!“Keep I/DD long-term care out of KanCare!”I hope you will join us for a Town Hall and Forum on April 16th at the Matt Ross Community Center located at 8101 Marty Street in Overland Park. The event will start at 6:00 p.m. We will discuss KanCare and our I/DD community. We hope to have the media there in order to share our message. The more the merrier!Now I’ve got work to do, if only I could figure out how to get out of this darn yoga pose…Warm regards,Lurena MeadJCDS Community Relations Manager